Thursday, September 23, 2010

I'm in AFRICA!! :)

Hello! Shalom!

I finally made it to Worcester after 28+ hrs of travel Tues - Wed. It was surreal waking up this morning and realizing it wasn't a dream...I'm really staying at the YWAM base in Worcester, South Africa! I've been kind of out of it all day - thank you jet lag - but we hit the ground running with ministry this morning. (Note: I'm gonna have to learn to function on Africa time..."be ready at 9am" means we'll probably leave the base around 10:30, and if lunch is at 11am then we're definitely not eating til 1 or 2 :) Coming from a minute-to-minute scheduled life, this is def a challenge!) We visited two school, one of which will be my second home for the next 3 months. Worcester Primary is grades 4-7 and I'll be teaching 7th grade math to start off with. The kids went on "holiday" today and return Oct 4th, so I have a week to prepare and adjust.

*Prayer Request - a bus of athletes headed to Jo-burg got in an accident the day I got here and one of the kids, Grant, passed away. This has really hit the community hard and they are just beginning to deal with the loss. Please keep Grant's friends and family in your prayers. He is most certainly dancing in heaven right now, praise the Lord.

We visited a lady from my school named Estelle (Bohler she reminds me SO much of you!) and talked with her for a while. We then headed to the squatter camp community (our idea of a shanty town) and served food to the children. It was an incredible sight - these beautiful, dirty, precious little children lining up with whatever bucket they had to hear the Word and sing songs and get a hot meal. This place is beautiful, right in a mountain valley, and the sight just took my breath away. THIS is the Father's heart, that we would look after His children and tell them of His unending, unfailing love.

Did I mention this place reminds me SO much of Los Mochis, Mexico? It's so similar in so many ways...thank You Jesus for preparing me to be here! I definitely would be in a lot more culture shock if I hadn't spent time in LM. Its beautiful...but I know I've said that. The mountains are incredible and the sunrise takes your breath away.

A few ways you can be praying specifically before I head to bed:
- COMMUNITY - Hannah from Germany leaves on Wed and we've already become great friends. Julius from Ghana has been here for 3 yrs and he has quickly become like a brother. Coming from such a supportive family and group of friends is making this transition a little rough...thanks for being amazing people to miss :)

-we are involved in just about every ministry you can imagine, so please just pray that the Spirit would fill us with His words and hearts would be open to receive truth.

Thats all for now, I'm using Fola's internet time (and computer) and I need to get some SLEEP! Love you all, thanks for your prayers. God Bless!

4 comments:

  1. Sara, I'm so glad I found your blog! I'm so excited for you as you embark on this amazing journey! Being in another country just allows you to see God's love and amazing grace in such a different and incredible way. I can't wait to read all the He is doing in your life and how He is using you in the lives of others. I will be praying for you dear friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats awesome sara. love you lots and still think its crazy you are halfway across the world. The shower curtain in my bathroom is a world map, and Africa is HUGE and in the middle...so every time I look at it I will think of you and pray for you.

    : )
    love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once you get use to the laid back times you will enjoy it. And then when you return to the rat race here you will yearn for living on Africa time. I am so glad you find everything so beautiful! God knows how to speak to our hearts and He is using the beauty to help you fall in love with the place and His people there. Thanks for the prayer specifics! May you have eyes to see that He has torn away your worries about the unknowns and replaced them with His provision.

    ReplyDelete